Concerns related to poverty & homelessness in early childhood are addressed in partnership with the DPI McKinney - Vento Homeless Program Team. The EC Homeless Coordinator shares information with the Regional Collaboration Coaches who in turn share it through their Regional Action Teams.
The bi-monthly Mc-V Inquirer is a tool to keep the field mindful & informed around this crucial topic. To receive the newsletter & register for the listserv please email: [email protected]
WI TASK FORCE ON HOMELESSNESS IN EARLY EDUCATION
The task force convened in April 2016 in response to new federal policy guidelines on serving homeless children and families in federally funded early care and education programs and recently released, startling indicators that show infants represented the highest percentage of those found in homeless shelters, with toddlers and preschool children representing the second highest rate.
Service providers & advocates at the state and local level will better coordinate existing policies, reaching across programs to ensure that young, homeless children are served in Wisconsin's early care & education programs.
- Strengthen State Cross Sector Collaboration around serving young children who are homeless
- Strengthen Local Cross Sector Collaboration around serving young children who are homeless
- Improve Outreach
- Improve Identification
- Increase Enrollment in high quality early care & education services
- Maintain Stability
Serving Homeless Families in Early Care and Education Programs: A Tool Kit (pdf)
Coming Soon! Training Modules & Webinars on Serving Homeless Families in Early Care & Education Programs (INSERT LINK WHEN RECEIVED - INTERNAL LINK TO PD PKGS/HOMELESS)
Jan 2017 (pdf)
Mar 2017 (pdf)
Nov 2017 (pdf)
Jan 2018 (pdf)
- Support for Families Experiencing Homelessness (webpage) - The Dept of Children & Families uses a multi-generational approach to support families who are experiencing homelessness. The Child Care & Development Block Grant of 2014 created provisions to bridge the barriers families experiencing homelessness have when accessing high-quality care YoungStar is working to assist child care providers with identifying and supporting families in need.
- Education for Homeless Children and Youth (EHCY) (webpage) - This program's major responsibility is to implement the McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act, so homeless children & unaccompanied homeless youth have equal access to the same free, appropriate public education, including a public preschool education and other services as provided to other children & youths, ensuring homeless children & youth have an opportunity to meet the same challenging state Academic Standards to which all students are held.
- Find your Homeless Liaison (webpage) - WI DPI provides a list of Homeless Liaisons in WI School Districts
- WI Head Start Fact Sheet (webpage) - summarizes the impact that Head Start & Early Head Start programs had on children and families living in poverty in WI.
- School House Connection (website) -a national organization working to overcome homelessness through education. They provide strategic advocacy & technical assistance in partnership with early childhood programs, schools, institutions of higher education, service providers, families & youth.
- The Administration for Children & Families (website) - by using the search box in the upper R corner and entering 'Early Care & Education for Homeless Children" a wide array of articles & resources will be presented from this division of the Dept of Health & Human Services.
- National Center for Homeless Education at SERVE (website) - NCHE is the US Dept of Education's technical assistance center for the federal Education for Homeless Children & Youth (EHCY) Program.
- National Law Center on Homeless & Poverty (website) - This legal group is dedicated to ending & preventing homelessness through policy advocacy, public education, impact litigation & advocacy training.
- Institute for Children Poverty & Homelessness (website) - The Institute seeks to inform and enhance public policy related homeless families with an emphasis on the impact of children.
Overlooked: The Far-Reaching Consequences of Late Identification of Homeless Students for Special Education Services (pdf) 2016 report from ICPH
When the Bough Breaks: The Effects of Homelessness on Young Children (webpage) downloadable report from 2012 on Child Trends website that looks at how homelessness impacts the development of young children'
Please visit the PD Packages: Homelessness page for webinars and training modules on serving homeless families in early care & education that can be used to build the capacity of programs & staff.