Curriculum and Assessment: Resources
- Math in the Early Years (2013 pdf) Reoprt cites research that early knowledge of math not only predicts later success in math, but also predicts reading achievement even better than early reading skills.
- "What Works" Practice Guide (2013 pdf) Teaching Math to Young Children provides five recommendations for teaching math to young children, including implementation steps, solutions for common roadblocks and supporting evidence.
- DEC Recommended Practices – Assessment (docx)
- Effects of Preschool Curriculum Programs on School Readiness (webpage)
Report from the National Center for Education Research (NCER) reviewing the
effectiveness of 14 curricula.
- Results Matter Assessment Videos (website) Videos were developed
to be used in professional development activities to give early care and
education providers an opportunity to practice observation and documentation
- Preschool Curriculum: What's in it for Children and Teachers,
Albert Shankar Institute Report (pdf)
- Preschool Curriculum Decision-Making: Dimensions to Consider,
- Council on Children and Families (website) numerous resources including research, policy analysis, public education and advocacy that lead to improved outcomes for children in the areas of health, economic security, safety and education.
- Early Learning and School Readiness
- What Settings are Wisconsin’s Young Children In?
- Investment in Early Learning Brings High Returns
- Healthy Children (website) American Academy of Pediatrics offers information for parents on healthy living, safety and prevention, family life, health issues, news and tips and tools.
- CLASP (webpage) Policy Solutions that Work for Low Income People: Strengthening Children, Youth and Families
- CLASP (webpage) Charting Progress for Babies in Child Care, What Babies and Toddlers in Child Care Need
- Born Learning (website) Designed as a tool for long-lasting community change that supports young children. It has three cornerstones: Awareness, Education, Action
- Developmentally Appropriate Practice (website) National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC) includes collection of new resources related to developmentally appropriate practices
- Key Messages of the Developmentally Appropriate Practice Position Statement (pdf) NAEYC
- NAECY and NAECS/SDE Position Statement on Curriculum Assessment in Programs Birth Through Age 8 (pdf) NAEYC is the nation's largest organization of early childhood professional and others dedicated to improving the quality of early childhood education programs.
- NAECY and NAECS/SDE "Where we Stand on Curriculum, Assessment, and Program Evaluation (pdf) National Institute for Early Education Research NIEER supports early childhood initiatives by providing objective, nonpartisan information based on research.
- The Brazelton Touchpoints Approach™ (webpage) is a practical approach for enhancing the competence of parents and building strong family-child relationships from before birth through the earliest years, laying the vital foundation for children’s healthy development.
- Baby Brain Map (webpage) was adapted in 2006 by ZERO TO THREE from BrainWonders, a collaborative project (1998-2001) between Boston University School of Medicine, Erikson Institute and ZERO TO THREE. After selecting an age range, click on a hotspot of the brain to reveal questions and answers to learn how a baby's brain develops during this period of brain growth.
- Head Start Early Learning Outcomes Framework (2015 webpage) Newly revised and designed to provide more clarity to the domains and domain elements of the original Framework and do not create new requirements for Head Start grantees.
ASSESSMENT TOOLS LIST
- Ages and Stages Questionnaire: Social-Emotional (ASQ:SE) (webpage)
- Ages & Stages Questionnaires (ASQ) (webpage)
- Assessment, Evaluation and Programming System (AEPS) (website)- Vol. 3 for Infants and Children and Volume 4 for Three to Six, Brooks Publishing Co. (2002)
- Battelle Developmental Inventory Second Edition (BDI-2) - Riverside Publishing, (2005)
- Brigance Inventory of Early Development II - (webpage) Curriculum Associates (2005)
- Carolina Developmental Profile - (webpage) Kaplan
- Early Learning Accomplishment Profile (E-LAP) (webpage) * Kaplan Press
- Hawaii Early learning Profile (webpage)(HELP) * Vort Corporation, (2004)
- High Scope - (webpage) COR Assessment
- High Scope Child Observation Record (COR) (webpage) for Infants and Toddlers and Preschool, Ypsilanti, MI: High/Scope, (2002)
- Indicators of Individual Growth and Development for Infants and Toddlers
(IGDI: 0-3) (webpage) University of Kansas
- Learning Accomplishment Profile (webpage) Third Edition (LAP-3) Kaplan Early Learning Company
- Portage Project (website)
Portage Guide 3: Infant/Toddler -
Activities and Routines
Portage Guide 3: Preschooler -Activities and Routines
- Read, Play Learn - (website) Play-based curriculum for children 3–6 years of age (1-6 years developmental age). It emphasizes a developmental approach to learning
- Teaching Strategies Gold - (webpage) an authentic, ongoing observational system for assessing children from birth through kindergarten, proven to be valid and reliable by extensive field testing (2011)
- Work Sampling System (webpage) (preschool 3 and 4, Head Start and K, 2004) Pearson Early Learning: Lebanon, IN, (2004)