4K Community Approaches: Resources
Looking for a start to your collaborative process? Or more information on assessment tools or curriculum in the early education area? How about sample agreements and contracts used by successful collaborative partners? Wisconsin Early Childhood Collaborating Partners provides resources for community approaches.
- DPI 4K Community Approaches Homepage: The Office of Early Learning's new website that tells the story of what makes 4-year-old kindergarten community approaches so good for children, families, community programs, school districts, Head Start, and the general public.
- DPI 4K Homepage
- DPI 4K Start Up Grants
- PALS Wisconsin Resource Center: includes information about the Phonological Awareness Literacy Screening (PALS), which is is a research-based screening, diagnostic, and progress monitoring tool.
- Early Childhood and Economic Development in Wisconsin - Research about why investing in high quality early education is good business and establishes a strong foundation for success in school and in life.
- HighScope Perry Preschool Study: Lifetime Effects - This study, perhaps the most well-known of all HighScope research efforts,examines the lives of 123 African Americans born in poverty and at high risk of failing in school.
- Benefits to Children and Families; Schools; Childcare and Head Starts
- Getting Your Child Ready for Kindergarten - DPI resource list to help parents build a strong foundation for school.
- FirstSchool - From the Frank Porter Graham Child Development Institute this site offers a research-based, collaborative framework to improve school experiences by emphasizing 10 critical features
- Developmentally Appropriate Practice - From the National Association for the Education of Young Children, includes collection of new resources related to developmentally appropriate practices, June 22, 2012
- DPI Information Bulletin (pdf) February 2008
- Including Children with Disabilities in State Pre-K Programs (pdf) February 2010 Provides an overview of the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) and recommends policies to help ensure that preschool-aged children with disabilities receive an appropriate public education in the least restrictive environment.
- WI School Districts Reporting 4K in 2012-13 (pdf)
- Forces for Four-Year-Olds Advisory Committee (doc) July 2012
- Forces for 4-Year-Olds Advisory Committee Report on 4 Year-Old Kindergarten and Community Approaches (ppt) - Oct. 28, 2009
- Ready Kids, Ready Schools, Ready Communities (pdf) - A report on the School Readiness Indicator Initiative, 2003
- Wisconsin School Readiness Indicators Initiative (pdf) - Status of school readiness indicators in WI, prepared by the WI Council on Children and Families, 2003
- The State of Preschool 2012 - National Institute for Early Education Research
- The National Governors Association Grant Report: Building Public & Political Will for Early Childhood Care and Education (pdf)
- Select Reports and/or Research Related to Prekindergarten Including 4-Year-Old Kindergarten (pdf)
- Case study on the Expansion of Four-Year-Old Kindergarten and The Wisconsin Forces for Four–Year-Olds Community Initiative (pdf) - 2005
- Wisconsin Forces for Four-Year-Olds power point promoting the importance of four-year-old kindergarten and community approaches (ppt)
- A Forum to Promote Community Approaches for Young Children in WI (pptx)
Tom Mosgaller, Director of Change Management UW Madison, (March, 2010 Preserving Early Childhood Conference, Communities Building Bridges)
- Why Pre-K Is Critical to Closing the Achievement Gap - This article in the National Association of Elementary School Principals, May/June 2011 offers information for principals about the importance of Pre-K programs and suggests ten research-based, practice-tested action steps for designing quality programs.
- Song "Bridges" - By Bill Staines (March, 2010 Preserving Early Childhood Conference, Communities Building Bridges)